Tuesday, October 16, 2012

[Q&A] Margaret Weis & Cam Banks (Margaret Weis Productions)

[19:03] <+Margaret> I'm Margaret Weis, author of a lot of books. I own a game company known as Margaret Weis Productions. We publish the Marvel RPG among many others.
[19:03] <+Margaret> (done)
[19:03] <~Dan> Thanks, Margaret!
[19:03] <~Dan> Does anyone have any questions to get us started?
[19:04] <+Silverlion> Question: Will we ever see an updated Sovereign Stone game?
[19:04] <+Margaret> Not from my company. We returned the rights to Sovereign Stone to Larry Elmore, one of the creators.
[19:04] <+Silverlion> Indeed.
[19:05] <+Silverlion> Why the shift to more
[19:05] <+Silverlion> "indie" mechanics in later games?
[19:06] <+Margaret> We like our Cortex system a lot. That system really works well for the fast-paced, character and action driven type of adventure we like to run. When we did Serenity, I wanted a system that we could teach to newbie gamers in five minutes.done
[19:07] <~Dan> To follow up on Silverlion's question, do you plan on releasing any more "standard" Cortex-based games, or will it be all Cortex+ from here on out?
[19:07] <+Margaret> Not sure yet.
[19:08] <+Margaret> We like to tailor the system to suit the property.
[19:08] <+Silverlion> Sensible.
[19:08] <+Silverlion> Any new games you've got brewing you can tell us about?
[19:09] <~Dan> Well, then let me ask you this: if you had it to do over again, would you make any or all of your Cortex games as Cortex+ games?
[19:09] <~Dan> (And question pause while Margaret catches up, please.)
[19:09] <+Margaret> We're working on an RPG for the new book series I'm writing, Dragon Brigade. Also we have long talked about doing a Deathgate game. That may be in the works, as well.
[19:09] <+Margaret> (Done)
[19:10] <+Margaret> As to licensed properties, some in the works, but I can't talk about them.
[19:10] <+Margaret> Now I
[19:10] *** MWPCam has joined #rpgnet
[19:10] *** ChanServ sets mode +v MWPCam
[19:10] <+Margaret> done
[19:10] <+Whitewings> One question that's come up on RPG.net is how to represent character whose main power is coming up with the exact right thing for a given situation. Prime examples would be a Green Lantern, or to stick with Marvel, the Silver Surfer's command of the Power Cosmic.(done)
[19:10] <+MWPCam> *waves*
[19:10] <~Dan> Welcome, Cam! :)
[19:11] <+Margaret> And here is Cam to explain that!
[19:11] <+Margaret> Hey, Cam!
[19:11] <+Whitewings> Perfect timing :)
[19:11] <+MWPCam> Hey Margaret! Hope you don't mind if I hang out here with you. :)
[19:11] <+Margaret> Glad you could stop by!
[19:12] <~Dan> (I've been pestering Cam for a while now to do one of these. Today I told him you, like all the cool kids, are doing it. ;) )
[19:12] <+MWPCam> So was there a rulesy kind of question?
[19:12] <+Silverlion> What is cool about Dragon Brigade?
[19:12] <~Dan> Yup, Whitewings's question up there.
[19:13] <+Margaret> Dragon Brigade is a very different type of fantasy. Muskets, cannons, men riding dragons, saints, demons, priests, a world where magic is common.
[19:13] <+Margaret> (Done. Now Cam)
[19:14] <+MWPCam> OK. Marvel Heroic makes it really easy to handle those kinds of characters because so much of the rules allow you to label a thing and give it a die rating and you're good to go.
[19:14] <+MWPCam> If you have Fire Control you can roll some dice, get an effect, and call it "Fiery Cage" and it sticks around.
[19:14] <~Dan> (Oh, Cam, as I was telling Margaret, please give us a "(done)" after an extended response so that we don't step on your replies. Thanks! :) )
[19:15] <+MWPCam> So really, it's much less restrictive.
[19:15] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:15] <~Dan> I haven't heard of Dragon Brigade. Is that something that's just out? On the way?
[19:15] *** Storytelleress is now known as Lioness
[19:16] <+Margaret> The first book is called Shadow Raiders. It's in the stores. The second book, Storm Riders, is out in the spring. I'm currently posting the first few chapters free on my fan page, Margaret Weis Author on Facebook. (done)
[19:17] <+Whitewings> Cam: Thank you.
[19:17] <+Silverlion> Is it acailable in e-formats?
[19:17] <~Dan> Oh, is it a novel series, or is it an RPG as well?
[19:17] <+Margaret> Yes, Shadow Raiders is on Kindle and Nook, etc.
[19:17] <+Margaret> It's a new novel series and it will be an RPG.
[19:17] <~Dan> Enlightenment/Age of Reason-era fantasy, I take it?
[19:18] <+Margaret> Yes, in many ways. Hot air balloon ships, but it is not steampunk.
[19:18] <+Silverlion> Cool.
[19:18] <+MWPCam> Not a lot of punk in it!
[19:19] <+Anduwaithe> While we're on the topic of novels, I just wanted to say that I loved to read Dragonlance novels when I was a kid, including the Chronicles trilogy. Thanks for everything you did personally to make that hobby of mine possible, Margaret. :)
[19:19] <~Dan> Aww. :)
[19:19] *** IgorBone has joined #rpgnet
[19:19] *** ChanServ sets mode +v IgorBone
[19:19] <+Margaret> You are welcome. We had a lot of fun writing them.
[19:19] <~Dan> (Welcome, IgorBone! Q&A with Margaret Weis in progress!)
[19:19] <+Silverlion> I once talked to Hickman, he was a nice chap.
[19:19] <~Dan> Will Dragon Brigade be Cortex+?
[19:20] <+Margaret> Yes, we're working on the magic system, which is presenting challenges!
[19:20] <~Dan> Ah, something brand new, then?
[19:20] <+MWPCam> You can see an early version of the game on DriveThruRPG. We had a short quickstart sort of thing called Opening Salvo. Check it out!
[19:20] *** Gyr|Laptop has joined #rpgnet
[19:20] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Gyr|Laptop
[19:21] <~Dan> Is it alternate history, or a complete fantasy world?
[19:21] <~Dan> (Welcome, Gyr!)
[19:21] <+Margaret> New fantasy world. A world with floating continents.
[19:21] <+Silverlion> Hrms.
[19:21] <~Dan> Oh, nice. :)
[19:21] <+Silverlion> That's pretty common these days.
[19:21] <~Dan> Oh, I dunno. Floating islands, yeah. Floating continents, though? :)
[19:22] <+Silverlion> Hehe.
[19:22] <+neon|laptop> I found the book on amazon, would a link be out of order?
[19:22] <~Dan> Not at all, neon! That would be great.
[19:22] <~Dan> (Also, welcome to #rpgnet, neon!)
[19:22] <+Silverlion> I may have to pick it up next month
[19:22] <+neon|laptop> (Link: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Raiders-Dragon-Brigade-ebook/dp/B004XFYWPW/)http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Raiders-Dragon-Brigade-ebook/dp/B004XFYWPW/
[19:23] <+xyphoid_> let me do a Me Too for what anduwaithe said - i still remember taking in the Legends books to our English teacher and saying HEY YOU SHOULD READ THESE
[19:23] <+xyphoid_> she wasn't a fan, but oh well
[19:23] <+Margaret> Like I said, I'm offering the first fifteen chapters on my fan page on Facebook. One each week.
[19:23] <+MWPCam> I love the intersection of faith, magic, science, and intrigue. It's a great setting.
[19:23] <+Margaret> Thank you, Cam. (Blush.)
[19:23] <+Silverlion> I'm probably one of the few people who is a gamer who didn't like Dragonlance. Still, I'm glad you've got fans for your hard work!
[19:23] <~Dan> Margaret, how did you first get into gaming?
[19:24] *** EricMPaq has joined #rpgnet
[19:24] *** ChanServ sets mode +v EricMPaq
[19:24] <+Margaret> I played games with my family when I was growing up. When I went to college I nearly flunked out playing bridge. I read about D&D in Publishers Weekly in the 1980s and I thought it would be fun to play with my kids. I asked a friend to run a game for us.
[19:24] <+Margaret> (Done)
[19:24] <+IgorBone> hi Margaret and Cam. I'd like to ask: are you guys playing something lately? Role-play or other
[19:25] <+Margaret> Most of my gaming people moved away and now I'm involved in racing my dogs in flyball so I don't get to play games that much. Sadly.
[19:25] <+Margaret> (done)
[19:25] <~Dan> Have you ever tried playing online? Like via IRC, for instance? :)
[19:25] *** Mattwilljackson has joined #rpgnet
[19:25] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Mattwilljackson
[19:25] <+Margaret> I'd never get any writing done!
[19:25] <~Dan> (Welcome, Matt!
[19:25] <~Dan> )
[19:25] <+diogenes> or via Google+ hangouts
[19:25] <+IgorBone> or with skype and google+ hangout?
[19:25] <+MWPCam> I have a weekly game group that meets to play RPGs. I use them to try out fun new things with games we're working on, but also to play games like Pendragon and D&D or whatever folks are into. When somebody has to cancel, we break out a board game.
[19:25] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:26] <+Mattwilljackson> (Hi there, I just realized I didn't follow all the instructions in your signature, thanks Dan)
[19:26] <+Silverlion> Writing is a tough job.
[19:26] <~Dan> (Heh. No worries. :) )
[19:26] <~Dan> (Fire away with any questions, Matt. :) )
[19:26] <+IgorBone> MWPCam are you involved in other projects or is MarvelHRP getting all your attention?
[19:26] *** Cryptico has joined #rpgnet
[19:26] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Cryptico
[19:26] <+Mattwilljackson> I have no idea what's going on, saw the MWP twitter post and joined in.
[19:27] <+IgorBone> and also, MWPCam, any favorites board games?
[19:27] <+Silverlion> Q&A session, Matt.
[19:27] <+Margaret> I'm working on the second novel in the Dragon Brigade series. I have some other projects looming (hopefully), but I can't talk about them.
[19:27] <~Dan> We're just chatting with Margaret and Cam, Matt. Nothing particularly formal.
[19:27] <~Dan> (Welcome, Cryptico!)
[19:27] <+Cryptico> Hello everyone
[19:27] <+Margaret> I bought Star Trek of Cataan at Gen Con. Haven't had a chance to play it yet.
[19:27] <~Dan> (Here for the Q&A, Cryptico?)
[19:27] <+Cryptico> yeah
[19:27] <~Dan> (Cool. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.)
[19:28] <+MWPCam> There's always something cooking in the oven at MWP but Marvel does take up the bulk of my time. It's a really great license and a fun game, with a lot of creative talents working with us!
[19:28] <+IgorBone> Any differente in ST Catan from regular Catan? aside theme, of course
[19:28] <+Cryptico> awesome, checking out first there isnt a queue of questions or what not
[19:28] <+Mattwilljackson> Cam, I'd be surprised if you remember, but thanks for signing my copy of Sellsword at Dragon*con.
[19:28] <+Margaret> I haven't played it myself, but my friends who have say they like it a lot. There are character cards that make it fun.
[19:28] <~Dan> Speaking of licenses, how did you get them? Do you go after them? Do people come to you?
[19:28] <+MWPCam> Right now my favorite board game is probably Tsuro. It's quick and easy to play with my two boys.
[19:28] <+IgorBone> Marvel is a great game!
[19:28] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:28] <~Dan> Cryptico: Nope! Just please watch for my requests for question pauses.
[19:28] <+Margaret> We go after licenses sometimes and sometimes they come to us.
[19:28] *** Neuroth has joined #rpgnet
[19:28] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Neuroth
[19:28] <~Dan> What happened with Marvel?
[19:29] <~Dan> (Welcome, Neuroth! Q&A with Margaret Weis and Cam Banks in progress.)
[19:29] <+IgorBone> I haven't played Tsuro yet, but loved the game from Tabletop (Wil Wheaton's show)
[19:29] <+Margaret> My business agent was attending C2E2, got to talking to the Marvel people. They knew about us, asked us to submit a proposal.
[19:29] <+Silverlion> Interesting. Was the license process long?
[19:29] <+Cryptico> Well I am gonna go ahead and say I am a big fan of MHR, first game I used with Cortex+ and I am in love, also bought leverage and smallville although I havent had the chance to play them, so my question is: Is there a more generic version of the Cortex+ that can be applied to any setting? I heard of the blue book but I am told is an entirely different beast
[19:30] <~Dan> (Question pause, please. :) )
[19:30] <+Margaret> First question, yes the licensing process can be long. Lawyers involved.:)
[19:30] <+Cryptico> (roger that)
[19:30] *** Skullhead has joined #rpgnet
[19:30] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Skullhead
[19:30] <~Dan> (No, I mean until they get done with your question, Cryptico. ;) )
[19:30] <~Dan> (Welcome, Skullhead!)
[19:30] <+Margaret> Cam, can you take Cryptico's question?
[19:30] <+MWPCam> Sure!
[19:31] <+MWPCam> Cryptico the blue book is a generic version of the Cortex rules we used in Supernatural and earlier, and it's still available. The rules have changed with each new game since, though. We try hard to make each game authentic and meet the license's needs and expectations of the players.
[19:31] <+IgorBone> Cam, in average, how long does it take for a Marvel book to be released? From original concept to physical release? how much time on playtesting?
[19:31] <+MWPCam> We have some fun ideas in the works for different "hacks" of Cortex but there's no single generic version of the Cortex Plus rules - Leverage, Smallville, and MHR are not identical.
[19:31] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:31] *** WinsonPaine has joined #rpgnet
[19:31] *** ChanServ sets mode +v WinsonPaine
[19:31] <~Dan> (Welcome, Winson!0
[19:31] <~Dan> )
[19:32] <+Cryptico> (got it, thank you)
[19:32] <+MWPCam> I think we worked out the process to be around fifteen weeks for a Marvel product, but it really can vary.
[19:32] <+MWPCam> It helps that we have the rules already!
[19:32] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:32] <~Dan> How much input did the Marvel folks have on the implementation of the rules?
[19:32] <~Dan> For that matter, how game-savvy were the folks you dealt with?
[19:33] <+MWPCam> Marvel have been great to work with. I work closely with somebody from their publishing department who is also a gamer. So I know when we send in material for review, that they "get" us and they see we "get" them.
[19:33] <+IgorBone> that's awesome
[19:33] <+MWPCam> (done)
[19:33] <~Dan> Given the reception that the last Marvel game got, did they give you any "Do NOT do THIS...!" instructions?
[19:34] <~Dan> And did it take any convincing to go with an "outside of the box" system?
[19:34] <+MWPCam> Marvel cares about its characters, first and foremost. We show respect for their property and their fans and I think that drives a lot of what we do.
[19:34] <+IgorBone> Margaret: a friend of mine just heard I'm chatting with you guys and told me he interviewed you here in Brazil a while ago. and that you told him one of the most touching things about being a writer. he's now in the process to publish his second book through crowdfunding. Just so you know how your work affect the fans lives and how glad we are for this
[19:34] <+Margaret> I'm thinking of LucasFilm who told TSR when we were doing Indiana Jones who said Indy must never die.(Done)
[19:34] <~Dan> That's awesome, Igor. :)
[19:34] <+Cryptico> There are a lot of fan hacks for the cortex system in the works for different genres, (hence my original question) what do you guys think of those? Have there been any considerations for an updated blue book to target that developing fandom?
[19:34] <+Margaret> That is! I visited the gaming community in Brazil. A great group of people.
[19:34] <+MWPCam> That's somewhere I would love to visit one day.
[19:35] <~Dan> (Back in a sec. Please continue.)
[19:35] <+IgorBone> We would be very glad to receive you both.
[19:35] *** Dan is now known as Dan-brb
[19:35] <+MWPCam> Cryptico We may have something in the works that you would like! As for fan hacks, we're always happy to see people do such great things with our games. It shows creativity and passion and that's terrific.
[19:35] <+Cryptico> awesome
[19:36] <+IgorBone> Cam, did you guys got a good response from Marvel readers who weren't gamers?
[19:36] <+MWPCam> Yes! I'm amazed at how many people have got into games thanks to MHR. We really do get emails from people saying that.
[19:36] *** Dan-brb is now known as Dan
[19:36] <~Dan> (back)
[19:36] *** GoldenH has quit IRC: Disintegrated: But the future refused to change...
[19:36] <+Mattwilljackson> (hooray)
[19:37] <~Dan> How long have you two worked together, and Cam, how did you first land the gig? :)
[19:37] <+EricMPaq> When is volume 2 of Dragon Brigade estimated to be released? Will there be more to the rpg than Opening Salvo?
[19:37] <~Dan> (Question pause while they cover those two, please.)
[19:38] <~Dan> (Also, welcome to #rpgnet, Eric!)
[19:38] <+Margaret> Spring of next year on Storm Riders. Yes, the RPG will be featuring another adventure for Dragon Brigade.
[19:38] <+Margaret> It was Cam's accent that did it.
[19:38] <+Margaret> (Done)
[19:38] * ~Dan chuckles
[19:39] <+Cryptico> lol where is cam from?
[19:39] <+Margaret> New Zealand
[19:39] <+MWPCam> I think I started out around 2002 as just another Dragonlance fan writing 3rd edition D&D conversions. I got invited to join the Whitestone Council group who contributed to the Dragonlance d20 books. So is that ten years, maybe? Wow.
[19:39] <+EricMPaq> Yay for more swashbuskling and dragons. :)
[19:39] <+xyphoid_> Woo NZ
[19:39] <+EricMPaq> (Thank you Dan!)
[19:39] <+MWPCam> And yes, I'm a Kiwi living in the wilds of Minnesota. :) (done)
[19:40] <+Mattwilljackson> To both of you, what was your introduction to gaming and/or writing like? Is it a path you always knew you'd take? When did you realize that this is where life would take you?
[19:40] <+Margaret> You said it, Eric!
[19:55] <+Mattwilljackson> (signs that I'm still a DL fan...I keep reading it as Doom Brigade)
[19:56] <+Margaret> Writing was my major in college. I worked in the publishing industry as everything from proofreader to type setter to editor and I wrote on weekends and at night when the kids were in bed. (done)
[19:57] <~Dan> How about you, Cam?
[19:57] <+IgorBone> Margaret: what are the challanges of writing fantasy fiction nowadays? A lot has already been done, how do you keep it fresh and interesting?
[19:57] <+MWPCam> I met a crazy kid from Colorado when I was only about 10 or 11 years old. He had all the D&D books. It was a totally new thing. I went to college to be a counselor or historian but ended up in endless retail management. I had no idea I'd be doing this for a living.
[19:58] <+MWPCam> I have Margaret to thank for being the inspiration to get me to write a novel, too. That was another "what the!" moment. (done)
[19:58] <+Margaret> I like writing about different worlds and settings, such as the Viking world I've been working on.
[19:59] <+Margaret> And there's a lot to be said for the fantasy setting with elves and dwarves and dragons we all love. (Done)
[19:59] <+Neuroth> To either of you: Given your experience in the industry, what advice would you give to someone who wanted to get into the business of making games?
[19:59] <+Delgrim> Horned helmets and all? :D
[20:00] <+Margaret> Yes! Viking ships that transform into dragons.
[20:00] <+Margaret> (done)
[20:00] <+Silverlion> Heh. :D
[20:00] <~Dan> Nice. :)
[20:00] <+Cryptico> thats sounds badass
[20:00] <+Silverlion> Delgrim: Viking do not have horned helmets, but I suspect you know that.
[20:00] <+Delgrim> Eh... Vikings didn't have horned helmets at all.
[20:00] *** LW has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:00] <+Margaret> That's true. However the artist put one on the first cover!
[20:01] <+Delgrim> Silverlion: It's just the typical image from asterix :)
[20:01] <+IgorBone> but Fantasy vikings do =P
[20:01] <+Cryptico> Northmen do however
[20:01] <+MWPCam> My advice to aspiring game designers is to do it. Write every day, play a lot of games, share your games, talk with others. I think it's critical that game designers not only play the games they write, but those of others, too. (done)
[20:01] <+Silverlion> Delgrim: Indeed?
[20:01] *** CRKrueger has joined #rpgnet
[20:01] *** ChanServ sets mode +v CRKrueger
[20:01] <+Silverlion> Write, but don't forget research...
[20:02] <~Dan> Is Marvel your biggest seller right now?
[20:02] <+Cryptico> How hard you find game designing, I am relatively new to the whole gaming scene, but because of my creativity I get thrusted to the gm position by my group, and often I find things I dont like how they are handled and kinda want to rewrite the rules, but it never works, so how do you approach writing that kinda of mechanics
[20:02] <+Margaret> Yes,  it is. Coming up on Serenity, which is our all time best seller.
[20:02] <+Silverlion> BBS running the dogs out
[20:03] <+MWPCam> Basic Game is a platinum bestseller on DriveThru, and got there in a matter of days!
[20:03] <+Delgrim> Margaret: Serenity is the game based on Firefly, right?
[20:03] *** Guest52613 has joined #rpgnet
[20:03] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Guest52613
[20:03] <+Margaret> Right.
[20:04] <+Cryptico> MHR finally popped up in our book store around here and disappeared in a matter of days, I think thats good news
[20:04] <+Delgrim> Bought that few years ago but none of my gaming group is willing to give a try.
[20:04] <+MWPCam> Cryptico, a lot of us write rules that just don't work the first time.
[20:04] <~Dan> (Welcome Guest52613! You can set your nick with the /nick command.)
[20:04] <+MWPCam> I don't think anything survives play test, editing, and development without some changes!
[20:05] <+MWPCam> So long as your group is keen to help you and knows what they want, you can keep working at it. I encourage that. (done)
[20:06] <~Dan> Cam, Margaret, what's a typical workday like for you guys? (Assuming there is such a thing! :) )
[20:07] <+Mattwilljackson> This could probably go to the room, but I've never had luck with finding people interested in gaming in my area. My passion for fantasy comes from reading novels. Anyone have advice on finding gaming groups?
[20:07] <~Dan> (Question pause, please.)
[20:07] <+Margaret> I write every morning including weekends if I'm home from 7:30 am to about 11:00 am. In the afternoon I walk the dogs and think over what I've written and if I need to change anything and I plan what I'm going to write the next day. Evening is down time. (done)
[20:08] <+Margaret> Check your local library for gaming groups. Or your local hobby store.
[20:08] <+IgorBone> Matt, my advice is to go places where gamers gather: stores, conventions, game clubs
[20:09] <+Delgrim> Mattwilljackson: Forums might help you. There's more gamers out there than you'd ever imagine :)
[20:09] <+MWPCam> I start early and end late with emails, revisions, and other administration stuff. I have an office that gives me a great creative space to write and to do the heavy duty design and development work needed to manage all of the projects going on at once. Most evenings I spend time with my kids and my wife and reward a particularly long day with some Xbox time!
[20:09] <+MWPCam> (done)
[20:09] <+xyphoid_> Mattwilljackson: universities are good too
[20:10] <+Anduwaithe> Matt, you might find this useful: (Link: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?372312-A-List-of-Player-Finders)http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?372312-A-List-of-Player-Finders
[20:10] <+Cryptico> I have a question about finances of creating an RPG game, if you can answer this, what kind of budget goes to creating a basic game like MHR, where is most of the money spent?
[20:10] <+EricMPaq> Mattwilljackson, look to see a local university or college have a gaming club. Look if local store or group have organized play events. There are G+ rpg communities that play games online.
[20:11] <+IgorBone> Mattwilljackson: read rpg books in public. I know several stories of people who got approached by someone because they had gaming shirts or books on display
[20:11] <+Margaret> Licensing fees and payments and printing costs are where a lot of the money goes.
[20:11] *** Dagon has quit IRC: Ping timeout
[20:11] <+Margaret> I met a woman who got married because a guy saw her reading his favorite DL book!
[20:11] <+AeonPhoenix> ...
[20:11] <+Delgrim> Margaret: ....
[20:11] <+Anduwaithe> awesome
[20:11] <+AeonPhoenix> Did the relationship actually work?
[20:12] <+MWPCam> We have several groups who regularly play Marvel online thru Google+ hangouts.
[20:12] <+Margaret> Yes, I met them both at Gen Con!
[20:12] <+xyphoid_> Sounds like as good a reason as any to get together
[20:12] <+MWPCam> I should say, I know of several groups who do!
[20:12] <+AeonPhoenix> Guess I'm super picky :P
[20:12] <+IgorBone> I hope that's the reason they met, not the reason they got married =P
[20:12] <+Anduwaithe> Aeon: I think you might be confusing "conversation-starter" with "sole reason for marrying" :)
[20:12] <~Dan> Margaret, Cam, how would you answer the old "One RPG on a desert island" question?
[20:13] <+AeonPhoenix> Might be
[20:13] <+Margaret> Yes, but one led to the other.:)
[20:13] <+xyphoid_> i have the best wife, she works at a bookstore and gets me advanced reading copies
[20:13] <+AeonPhoenix> I mean okay...yeah
[20:13] <+AeonPhoenix> lol
[20:13] <+MWPCam> Only one RPG?
[20:13] <~Dan> Yup, just one.
[20:13] <+AeonPhoenix> As long as they weren't like "GUYS WE'RE GETTING MARRIED"
[20:13] <+AeonPhoenix> 5 seconds after meeting each other
[20:13] <+Anduwaithe> haha
[20:13] <~Dan> Well, okay, I'll be nice: 3 games. :)
[20:13] <+MWPCam> Give me something to write on and a bunch of dice, cards, and snacks and I'll be fine, Dan. :)
[20:13] * ~Dan chuckles
[20:13] <+xyphoid_> i can just see the "will you marry me?" "yeah what, sorry, i'm reading and wasn't paying attention"
[20:13] *** CRKrueger has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:15] <+Mattwilljackson> Roll your D20 coconut.
[20:16] <~Dan> What about you, Margaret? If you had to choose 3 games?
[20:16] <+IgorBone> Lord of the Flies would be much less interesting if it was a bunch of rplayers
[20:17] <+neon|laptop> Lord of the Flies with rplayers would swiftly adopt the Black Leaf rule
[20:17] <+Margaret> I was even part of a marriage proposal at Gen Con. A guy came up and asked me to sign a book as his marriage proposal. It read "Margaret Weis wants to know if you'll marry me." He left and came back with her and handed her the book. She said yes. We were all a little teary.
[20:17] <+xyphoid_> haha, awesome
[20:17] <+neon|laptop> that's super cute
[20:17] <~Dan> Awwww... :)
[20:17] *** Dagon has joined #rpgnet
[20:17] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Dagon
[20:17] <+IgorBone> so nice
[20:18] *** Ximni has left #rpgnet
[20:18] *** Guest52613 has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:18] <+Delgrim> I've always been interested what happens if he/she says "no" like say when someone proposes at stadium with all cameras pointing at them.
[20:19] <~Dan> That actually happened recently, Delgrim. :)
[20:19] <+Delgrim> Dan: Really? There's anything in youtube about it?
[20:19] <+IgorBone> there are quite a few youtube videos with that
[20:19] <+MWPCam> Folks, I need to head on out! It's a school night, and everything.
[20:19] <+Anduwaithe> bye Cam, thanks for dropping by :)
[20:19] <~Dan> Thanks, Cam!
[20:19] <+Margaret> Bye Cam! Thanks for coming by!
[20:19] <+MWPCam> This was really fun, thanks for inviting me!
[20:19] <+Anduwaithe> Margaret: jynx! :)
[20:20] <+Cryptico> night
[20:20] <+IgorBone> thanks Cam. enjoy the evening
[20:20] <+Margaret> LOL!
[20:20] *** MWPCam has left #rpgnet
[20:20] <+Cryptico> well this has been fun, but I have to go to work, thank you for taking your time answer our questions Margaret and Cam
[20:20] <+EricMPaq> Bye Cam! Have a fun evening.
[20:20] <+Margaret> Thank you for coming!
[20:20] <~Dan> Bye, Cryptico! Come by any time!
[20:21] *** Cryptico has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:22] <~Dan> Margaret, regarding Dragon Brigade, how would you describe the tone? Is it swashbuckling high adventure?
[20:22] <+Margaret> Yes, exactly!
[20:22] <~Dan> How morally objective/subjective is it?
[20:23] <+Mattwilljackson> Margaret, any advice for someone who wants to get into the publishing side of fantasy? Places to start? Do's & Don'ts?
[20:23] <~Dan> Are there insidious villains who need smiting?
[20:23] <+Margaret> One villain turned out to be one of our favorite characters, Sir Henry Wallace. The bad guys are not what anyone expects.
[20:24] <+Margaret> Publishing in general is tough to break into, especially these days when no one quite knows where ebooks are going. But mainly write and keep on writing.(done)
[20:24] <+EricMPaq> Having read Shadow Raiders: Dragon Brigade vol 1, I felt it was like Dumas's Three Muskateers but in a fantasy setting.
[20:25] <~Dan> Does it feature the "standard" fantasy races?
[20:25] <+Margaret> Dumas was one of my favorite authors when I was young. I wanted the book to reflect Three Musketeers, though the setting is later.
[20:25] <+Margaret> No, just humans and dragons, griffins, and wyverns.
[20:26] <+Margaret> (done)
[20:26] <~Dan> Ah. A definite flying them, then?
[20:26] <~Dan> theme, even
[20:26] <+Margaret> Yes, lots of flight.
[20:26] <~Dan> Any plans for a horror Cortex game?
[20:26] <+Margaret> Not at the moment. But you never know!
[20:27] <~Dan> Heh. :)
[20:28] <~Dan> When it comes to a genre you haven't covered, is your first instinct these days to go for an associated license?
[20:28] <+Margaret> Yes, we like working with licenses.
[20:29] <~Dan> So if you decided, "We really need a horror game in our line," you'd try to find a license first?
[20:29] <+Margaret> Absolutely.
[20:29] * ~Dan nods
[20:30] *** Mattwilljackson has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:30] <+Margaret> If there are no more questions, I've got to let my new puppy out. Thanks, this has been fun.
[20:30] <~Dan> Oh, no problem, Margaret! Anyone have any final questions?
[20:30] <+EricMPaq> Thank you Margaret!
[20:30] <+Anduwaithe> Yes, what breed is her puppy?
[20:30] <+Anduwaithe> :)
[20:31] <+neon|laptop> And how cute is it?
[20:31] <+Anduwaithe> hehe
[20:31] <~Dan> Margaret, I'll have a log of the chat posted shortly after we wrap up.
[20:31] <+IgorBone> thanks for the time Margaret. It's been awesome!
[20:31] <+Margaret> He is a nine month old Sheltie. A rescue dog from an Amish puppy mill. You can a picture on my FB page.
[20:31] <+Anduwaithe> Awwww
[20:31] <+neon|laptop> :3
[20:31] <+Margaret> Thank you!
[20:32] <~Dan> Thanks so much for coming by, Margaret! You've been a great guest!
[20:32] <+Anduwaithe> Take care, and thanks for doing a Q&A with us :)
[20:32] <~Dan> Please feel free to stop by any time!
[20:32] <+Margaret> Thanks for asking me, Dan. Anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment